Mandvi Gate, is the north gate of the Royal Enclosure for Baroda State and its a is one of the major landmarks in Vadodara. It has history which take us back to the Mughal period. Mandvi means mandapa (Sanskrit word) meaning pillared hall. Mandvi is at the centre of the walled city where the roads leading to the 4 gates crosses. Built by Sultan Muzaffar (1511-26 AD) and renovated in 1736 AD by the Governor, Malharoa Maloji under the orders of Damaji Roa II. Later during 1856 AD, Ganpatrao Gaekwad added more storeys. Now it is a four-storied concrete structure with a clock fitted on the top. Most of the structure is intact including some of the jaalis. On special occasions like festivals and cultural events, the gate is illuminated with colourful lights. Mandvi Gate, is a beautiful gate located in center of old city. It is one of the major landmarks in city dating back to the Mughal period. On special occasions like festivals and cultural events, the gate is illuminated with colorful lights. Near Mandvi Gate is a Central Library that has been inherited by the Gaekwads, and carries over 300,000 books in the present time. This impressive square shaped pavilion of Mandavi has three bold arched openings on each of its four sides. It is illuminated on special occasions. Earlier it might be a market place, intermingled by two large streets separating in to four part that meet in the centre.
Leave a Reply ·