Sayaji Baug was dedicated to the citizens of Vadodara by Maharaja Sayaji Rao Gaekwad III in 1879. Sayajirao III built Sayaji Baug, well known as Kamati Baug, on the river Vishwamitri. It is one of the largest public gardens in Western India, sprawling over 113 acres (0.46 km2). It has a rich flora of more than 98 species of trees.
It is one of the finest gardens in India, and is maintained by Vadodara Municipal Corporation. Thousands of citizens of the city come here for their morning walk as well as for pleasant view of the garden. The garden is home to the Baroda Museum & Picture Gallery, the Sardar Patel Planetarium, and the Sayaji Baug Zoo.
There are three entrance gates. The main gate is at Sayaji square (informally known as "Kala Ghoda Chowk" or "black horse square" because of an equestrian statue standing there). This gate is only 800 meters from the main city railway station and even less from the city bus stand. The third gate is at Rana Pratap square in Fatehganj area, and the second gate stands somewhere in between first and third gates.